Things to get
- Backpack (55 – 65 L) with sturdy straps and supporting frame.
- Day pack (20 L) Useful for summit/pass day or in case you offload your Backpack.
- Trekking shoes. You need traction on snow. Ensure the shoes are well broken in before the trek.
- 3 track pants. Track pants are light and moreover when things get cold you can wear one over the other.
- 3 cotton t-shirts with collar.
- Two full sleeve sweaters or fleece jackets.
- A full sleeve thick jacket.
- 3 pairs of undergarments.
- 1 pair of thermals
- 3 pairs of sports socks.
- Woolen monkey cap/balaclava that covers the ears.
- Rain coat/poncho.
- 1 pair of woolen gloves or synthetic gloves (water proof).
- Sun glasses which cover your eyes well are mandatory, as they prevent snow blindness.
- People who wear spectacles, choose one of these:
- Use contact lenses and a sun glass.
- Wear a big sun glass over your spectacles.
- Sun cap.
- Towel (Thin, quick drying type).
- Lip balm.
- Cold cream and sun screen lotion (SPF 40+).
- 2 Water bottles (1 L each).
- A plate, a spoon and a coffee mug.
- Torch with extra set of batteries (head lamps recommended).
- Personal toilet kit (minimal) and toilet paper.
- Personal medicine kit. If you are travelling with friends, you can share a medical kit amongst 2-3 people.
- Crocin – 5 tablets
- Avomine – 4 tablets
- Avil 25mg – 4 tablets
- Diamox – 15 tablets
- Brufen 400 – 5 tablets
- Combiflam – 5 tablets
- Disprin – 10 tablets
- Paracetamol – 10 tablets
- Norflox – 10 tablets
- Crepe bandage – 3 to 5 meters
- Band aid – 10 strips
- Digene – 10 tablets
- Gauze cloth – 1 small roll
- Leukoplast – 1 small roll
- Cotton – 1 small roll
- ORS – 5 packets
- Betadine cream
- Moov spray
- Anti-fungal powder
All treks offer:
Forest Camping Charges
Stay at base-camps
- Photographers (also budding ones), carry extra memory cards, and batteries as electricity is not available on the slopes
- Slippers/sandals (for walking around campsite).
- Some trekkers feel a loss of energy easily. While there is adequate food provided on the trek, do carry dry fruit combinations or energy bars as snacks.
- While packing, use plastic bags to compartmentalize things and carry a few extra plastic bags for wet clothes
- Leave your denims behind – they are ill suited for treks and add unnecessary weight.
- Do not carry any disposable plastic bottles like Bisleri, Aquafina, plastic wrapped/packaged items. Do not bring any non biodegradable material.
- After packing, weigh your gear. It should be in the range of 7-8 kgs – preferably on the lighter side. Anything heavier, you will need to iterate and remove what is not essential.
- Carry light and what is essential. As an example, toothpaste should be bought in small size (that can last you 10 days). Do not plan for “if” situations. The list of things mentioned here are exactly what you need and nothing more.
- To protect yourself from cold, dress in layers . Two T-shirts worn one over the other is warmer than a T-shirt that is thick. Three T-shirts worn one over the other is as good as a full sweater. This is just a guideline. If you are prone to cold carry an extra sweater.
- The trek dates are liable to change in case of non viability or hostile weather conditions.
Along with the above list, please ensure you also carry the following documents:
An identification card (like driving license, voters ID card etc), along with a photocopy.
A passport size photo.
A medical certificate.
The documents are mandatory. Without them you will not be allowed to trek.
- Age group: The minimum age to do the trek is 14 years. If you wish children below 14 to do the trek please talk to us before registration.There is no upper age limit. Fitness is the only criteria. There are usually 10-15 members in a trek group.
- Payment: Payment for the trek can be done through online transfer/cheque/DD. The cheque/DD can be sent in the name of Roads and Journeys to our office at 34, Sooriyagandhi Nagar, Pondicherry-605003. You can also do a bank transfer in the following account:
Name: Roads and Journeys
State Bank of India, Muthialpet Branch, Pondicherry-605003
Account no: 36114420501 IFSC Code: SBIN0015420
3. Cancellation: In case of cancellation, please send an email to email@example.com. Cancellation requests are not taken over phone. Cancellation refunds will be made to the same bank/credit card account from which the payment has been made.
The cancellation charges are as under:
- Cancellations prior to 30 days from the start of the trek – full refund
- Cancellation between 30 – 20 days to the start of the trek – 50% refund
- Cancellation less than 20 days to the start of the trek – no refund
NOTE: There will be a deduction of 5% towards bank charges on all refunds. Roads & Journeys has the final word on refund policy.
4. Calling off a trek: If a trek is called off at the last moment due to a natural calamity (such as rains earthquake, landslides) or man made issues (strikes/curfews), we understand. Incidental expenditure incurred (maximum 10%) will be deducted and the balance will be refunded.
5. No show on a trek: If for any reason a participant does not turn up for the trek without intimation, it is seen as a cancellation. The usual cancellation rules apply.
6. Backpack carrying: All trekkers are expected to carry their own backpacks. The backpack should not weigh more than 8 kgs. If for any reason a trekker decides to offload the backpack after reaching the base camp, the cost of offloading is Rs 350 per backpack per day. Offloading is when you opt for a porter to carry your bag.
NOTE: The amount to be paid for backpack offloading is for the entire duration of the trek. There are no partial payments.
7. Fitness: As mentioned earlier, it is extremely important that you are physically fit for a trek. If for any reason we see that you are having difficulties on the trek, you will be asked to discontinue the trek. It is for your well being, so we request you to understand the importance and not to push yourself beyond your limits.
8. Disclaimer: Roads & Journeys is not responsible for any loss/damage of any of your belongings on the trek.